There are several things that you will need to do before and after your child receives IV sedation. Our dentists will provide you with detailed instructions, and we encourage you to contact our office if you have any questions.
Before your child’s IV sedation appointment:
- Notify our team of any changes in your child’s health, as well as any existing medical conditions. If your child is ill, we may reschedule their appointment.
- Tell us about any medications your child uses, any reactions to drugs or medication, or any changes in their medical history.
- Dress your child in comfortable, loose clothing.
- Take your child to the restroom before their appointment.
- Do not give your child milk or solid food after midnight the night prior to treatment and give them only clear liquids in the six hours immediately before their appointment.
- Do not feed your child greasy, fatty or fried foods prior to their appointment.
- If your child uses an asthma inhaler, bring it with you to their appointment.
Please remember that you, as the child’s legal guardian, must be present in our office throughout the entire procedure.
After your child’s IV sedation appointment:
- Your child will be very drowsy; please monitor them closely.
- Make sure that your child sleeps on their side with their chin up.
- Wake your child every hour and give them a drink to reduce dehydration. Start with small sips of clear liquids.
- Ensure that your child’s first meal after their treatment is light and easy to digest.
- If your child vomits, help them bend over and turn their head to the side.
For more information about IV sedation for children, please contact our office.